Groups of hosting services
A hosting service refers to stockpiling and/or sharing certain content on a server administered by a website hosting company. There are various varieties of hosting services used for various aims, so let's survey these. Doing so, you can conclude what you need, based on whether you'd like to have a site, e-mail addresses, or to share files with pals and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service furnished by some file storage providers, which allows you to share bulky files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage plans frequently involve adverts next to the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a given stretch of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you possess a paid file storage account, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly erroneous explanation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would allot the tasks at hand between individual packs of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending various web site hosting services (email, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, web space hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a variety of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; specific companies offer a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting brand is suitable if you want to share a huge quantity of pics with comrades or partners since the service is usually free of cost. You will get a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to managing your e-mailbox accounts. Some vendors provide web hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an email solution. If you want to own a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can set up e-mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video generates a certain amount of CPU load, so with several videos and several hundred web site viewers, you may have a hard time with your web hosting quotas. Embedding the video will permit you to utilize as many videos as you want to without worrying about system supplies.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to keep a website. To some degree, it incorporates all of the aforesaid hosting groups since, along with your web sites, you can also host pics and files, you can set up databases and mail aliases, upload videos, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated server hosting packages that enable you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be limits depending on the form of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the typical e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are meant for specific web content solely.